Red Knight Volunteer Corps
Students at Benilde-St. Margaret's are encouraged to stretch their knowledge of the world by meeting new people, engaging in activities and projects they might not normally consider, and seeing how a mature faith experience involves service, commitment, and intellectual understanding.
The Red Knight Volunteer Corps (RKVC) is a cornerstone program at BSM where student volunteers work in the local community positively impacting the lives of others. By participating in RKVC, students gain a comprehension of service, social justice, and the three charisms at the heart of BSM.
RKVC experiences range from working in hospitals and nursing homes to helping children with special needs. Students have an opportunity to participate in RKVC each year, understanding that as an applicant for this experience, the following attitudes and expectations are essential to being a Red Knight Volunteer.
- a demonstrated interest in service work
- a willingness to develop leadership skills
- an understanding that although service opportunities will be provided through the Service Coordinator, participants are also responsible to seek out their own service opportunities within their own communities
- a willingness to accept, be sensitive to, and learn about people and cultures different from their own
- a commitment to attend all group meetings and participate in projects
- a commitment to meeting the basic hours of service requirement
- a willingness to take responsibility for filling out proper paperwork to keep track of hours of service for documentation on transcripts
Time Commitment for Senior High Students
- Participation in a minimum of four service activities (2 RKVC sponsored) is required per semester to remain a member of the organization.
- Required to attend RKVC meetings.
- If a student misses a meeting because of an excused absence from school, they must notify Ms. Hodapp.
Time Commitment for Junior High Students
- Participation in a minimum of two service activities is required per semester either through RKVC or on your own
- Additionally, students are required to attend homeroom meetings.
- RKVC members will receive invitations from signupgenius.com as events become available. Students will use signupgenius to sign up for events, and retrieve all pertinent information and will follow a link on it to access the required permission slip available from the RKVC website. Permission slips are due about one week before the event to the RKVC cart.
*Servant-leadership option: As a substitute for a non-RKVC service event, students may elect to host a non-RKVC student from BSM at an RKVC-posted service event. Students should speak with Ms. Meagher directly before signing up as such.
- a willingness to provide transportation and supervision for your child when necessary
- a willingness to support/help your child seek out their own volunteer opportunities, other than those provided by the school
- a willingness to help with the documentation of service hours for the co-curricular transcript
Stay informed about our Red Knights: