Trout & Fly Fishing Club
Trout/Fly Fishing Club is for students in grades 7-12 who are interested in the outdoors, fishing, or craft. Team members will learn how to tie flies (craft), how to cast a fly rod, tie knots, and how to set up a rig (fishing). We will also learn about the waters in which trout and other fish swim. This club offers several field trips that allow students to put their skills into practice. Last year, the club visited the Whitewater River for trout on two occasions, the Kinnickinnic River in Wisconsin, and the Vermillion River. The goal of the club is to introduce students to fly fishing and become more interested in outdoor activities and conservation.
Most outings will take place on weekends, but some may be field trips from school. Students may miss school for our spring trip to plant trout in the Vermillion River and an occasional fishing outing in the afternoon. Most trips require parent transportation, so we will try to set up carpools. The trips that are proposed this year are:
- Shore fishing an area lake in the fall (potentially Cedar Lake)
- Fishing a Minnesota trout stream in the fall
- Ice fishing on Cenaiko Lake in Coon Rapids for trout (Jan. 14 or 15)
- A cold-weather stream trout fishing trip in February or March in Wisconsin
- The Fly Fishing Film Tour in Minneapolis - Date TBD
- Trout Release and fishing on the Vermillion River in late April or early May
- Bass fishing in May/June
Cost & Equipment
The cost of the trout club this year will be $50. All materials will be provided for fly tying, but students will need their own set of tying tools. Extra vises are available if their set comes without a vise. During fishing excursions, all rods, reels, flies, miscellaneous tackle, and waders will be provided. Bob Mitchell's fly shop in St. Paul, Orvis in St. Louis Park, and Amazon are all good options for acquiring a set of tying tools.