This program centers on student volunteers working in the community. Students will gain experience from a variety of volunteer opportunities such as working in hospitals and nursing homes to helping children with special needs. The purpose of this program is to give students the opportunity to stretch their knowledge of the world, meet new people, and see that faith involves service, commitment, and intellectual understanding.
Each applicant for this experience should understand that the following attitudes and expectations are essential to being a Red Knight Volunteer.
- a demonstrated interest in service work
- a willingness to develop leadership skills
- an understanding that although service opportunities will be provided through the Service Coordinator, participants are also responsible to seek out their own service opportunities within their own communities
- a willingness to accept, be sensitive to, and learn about people and cultures different fromt heir own
- a commitment to attend all group meetings and participate in projects
- a commitment to meeting the basic hours of service requirement
- a willingness to take responsibility for filling out proper paperwork to keep track of hours of service for documentation on transcripts
Time Commitment for Senior High:
- Participation in a minimum of four service activities is required per semester
- Required to attend at least 6 of the 8 first semester meetings and at least 5 of the 6 second semester meetings.
- If a student has an excused absence from school, she/he must simply notify Ms. Lenhart-Murphy.
- Follow-through with commitments to service is essential. As such, a student who fails to show up at a service event for which she/he had signed up without contacting the site in advance of their absence, will be dismissed from the RKVC.
Time Commitment for Junior High:
- Participation in a minimum of two service activities is required per semester either through RKVC or on your own
- Additionally, students are required to attend homeroom meetings.
- RKVC members will receive invitations from signupgenius.com as events become available. Students will use signupgenius to sign up for events, and retrieve all pertinent information and will follow a link on it to access the required permission slip available from the RKVC web site. Permission slips are due about one week before the event to the RKVC cart.
*Servant-leadership option: As a substitute for a non-RKVC service event, students may elect to host a non-RKVC student from BSM at an RKVC-posted service event. Students should speak with Ms. Lenhart-Murphy and Becca Meagher directly before signing up as such.
- a willingness to provide transportation and supervision for your child when necessary
- a willingness to support/help your child seek out their own volunteer opportunities, other than those provided by the school
- a willingness to help with the documentation of service hours for the co-curricular transcript
Service documentation form will be available soon, in the meantime please talk with Ms. Meagher.