Co-Head Coach: Jake Mahler & Alex Smith
Assistant Coaches: Henry Bird, Jeremy Cramer, Moe Holmes, Anna Overbo, Christine Weber, Dan Weber, Maya Argenta, Cylysce Doe, Laura Mahler, Becca Meagher
Captains: Jacqueline Bucaro ('21), Joana Domingeuz Lopez ('21), Johan Dominguez Lopez ('21), Maliah Jaiteh ('21), Samantha Nunez-Mudoy ('21)
Speech is going VIRTUAL in 2020-2021!!
Speech is a competitive activity that fosters learning the art of public speaking, but this activity encompasses so much more than just speaking. It also involves analysis, performance, research, writing, leadership, creativity, listening, etc. Although competitive, this activity is fundamentally about personal growth and achievement. Here at BSM, it’s also about the team. Congratulations, you’re now a ‘speecher’!
- Keep a positive attitude!
- Attend all team meetings on Wednesdays, 2:50 - 3:30 p.m. in the Band Room.
- Meet with your coach each week for an hour.
- Compete at five out of seven Saturday tournaments PLUS the two mandatory in-house tournaments
- Compete at the NFL tournament (if chosen)
- Compete at conference competition (if chosen)
- Compete at sections (if chosen)
- Perform at Speech Showcase
- Dress appropriately at all tournaments.
- Be on time and do not leave early from tournaments.
- Travel to and from the tournaments on the BSM bus.
- Attend a final found at each tournament.
If you sign up to work with a coach and you can’t make your time slot, it’s your job to find a replacement or find the person who is signed up after you and ask him/her to move up. After the first few weeks of working with your primary coach, you may practice with other coaches if they have time slots available. All coaches’ schedules will be posted on the Speech board; it is your responsibility to ensure that you have one hour of practice weekly. Should you fail to meet this requirement, you will receive one warning; if this happens a second time, you will be cut from the team.
This year, we are asking that you contribute a fee for this activity; the money will cover a team t-shirt, lunch at our in-house day, and materials which will be used on that day in our team-building program. The cost is $25 and will be added to your tuition; you do not need to bring in that money.
Speech Schedule/Tournaments: Virtual until further notice
- Saturday, Jan. 16 - In-House Tournament
- Saturday, Jan. 30 - Eden Prairie
- Saturday, Feb. 6 - Prior Lake
- Saturday, Feb. 13 - East Ridge
- Saturday, Feb. 20 - Chaska
- Saturday, Feb. 27 - Eastview
- Saturday, Mar. 6 - Lakeville North
- Saturday, Mar. 13 - Eagan (National Qualifiers)
- Saturday, Mar. 20 - Roseville
- Saturday, Mar. 27 - BSM Showcase
- Week of March 29 - Sections (date to be announced)
- Thursday, April 23 and/or Friday, April 24 - State
Conference Champions: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Conference Academic Champions: 2010, 2014
Section Champions: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014
State Individual Champions: Liz Letak (2001), Laura Mahler (2001), Kate McGinty (2001), Sheila Pecachek (2002), Dan Weber (2002), Dan Dobbe (2003), Alexandra Plouff (2010-Story Telling), Sophia Herrmann (2018-Great Speeches)
State Individual Runners-up: Dan Dobbe (2001), Jaci Johnson (2001), Ryan Smith (2002), Catherine Kedzuf (2004), Elliot Musilek (2007)
State Individual (Duo) Runners-up: Anne Chesney & Jake Mahler (2003)
State Participant: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018