BSM 2020: Our Future Legacy
At Benilde-St. Margaret’s, we empower our students to achieve a brighter future for themselves, their community and the world.
In May 2012, the Benilde-St. Margaret’s Board of Directors completed a comprehensive strategic planning process that involved board members, faculty, staff, parents and alumni over a period of several months. The board adopted BSM 2020, a plan that sets us on a mission-based trajectory toward one goal:
By 2020, BSM will excel as a nationally recognized leader in 21st century, Catholic, college-preparatory education, preparing students to live their faith and thrive in a changing world.
In the next several years, BSM will focus on four cornerstones that support our goal:
- 21st Century Academic Excellence
- Developing the Whole Student in a Catholic Community
- Best Teaching and Innovative Instruction
- Invest in BSM’s Future
The following summary of our cornerstones of the BSM 2020 plan is part of what informs the work going forward.
21st Century Academic Excellence
BSM is a recognized leader in college preparatory education. We prepare students to make a difference in an ever-increasingly interconnected world. By 2020, our alumni will be challenged by complex problems in jobs that haven’t yet been created. Through BSM 2020, we will:
- Prepare students for success by educating them in real-world ways that emphasize core knowledge, learning through experience, deeper discovery, and developing moral character through solving problems that matter;
- Create comprehensive academic experiences through interdisciplinary Centers of Excellence that provide opportunities for collaboration, research, and learning in specialized fields;
- Forge greater partnerships with distinguished alumni, parents, community leaders, sister schools, and local and international organizations to provide enriched perspectives and relevant real-world learning opportunities.
Developing the Whole Student in a Catholic Community
BSM provides an environment that enables students to acquire the skills and habits needed for lives that are balanced ethically, spiritually and physically. As a Catholic school, we provide students with opportunities to learn, practice and live their faith. We acknowledge the importance of faith formation and physical and mental health as a prerequisite for becoming servant leaders. Through BSM 2020, we will:
- Ensure that students are prepared to live successful lives that are imbued with Gospel values and enriched by service to others;
- Guide students as they grow to understand the role of faith in their daily lives and in society;
- Encourage students to live healthier lives with an eye toward physical, emotional, and social well-being.
Best Teaching and Innovative Instruction
BSM teachers are among the best in Minnesota. They are called to teaching as a vocation. They continually seek to enhance their profession and leverage their expertise by collaborating with colleagues within and across disciplines. Dedicated and high-quality teachers rank as the top reason parents choose any school, especially BSM. Through BSM 2020, we will:
- Create the BSM Center for Innovative Instruction that continually supports and cultivates best teaching and where teachers focus on professional development, innovation and collaboration;
- Leverage technology (e.g., laptop program, video, reversed/“flipped classroom,” blended/online learning, real-time international collaboration) for learning;
- Help teachers to research, design, pilot, and refine real-world, applied learning experiences, strengthen best practices, discover “next practices;”
- Serve as a resource for teacher education to the broader Catholic- and area-school networks.
Invest in BSM’s Future
BSM attracts families who are seeking a superior Catholic, college preparatory education within a strong, supportive and caring community. As a Catholic school, we are committed to having a diverse student body and community, welcoming those who support our mission of Catholic education. Through BSM 2020, we will:
- Focus on affordability and accessibility and provide financial assistance to families who both demonstrate need and support BSM’s mission;
- Cultivate a culture of philanthropy that provides alumni, donors, families, and faculty and staff with opportunities to support the BSM mission;
- Pursue new revenue resources to help fund new initiatives.